HAMBURG, N.Y. (WKBW) — Even though it is still winter, a lot of people are putting together their warm-weather project plans for yards and homes.
From now until February 23rd, the WNY Home and Outdoor Living Show is taking place at the Hamburg Fairgrounds.
The show is featuring a wide variety of contractors who can offer ideas and pricing on everything from roofing to kitchens to landscaping.
According to local realtor Britt Konczyk, at MJ Peterson Real Estate, Buffalo has a big demand for houses priced $150,000 and under in the spring market.
How can sellers make sure their homes get offers?
Konczyk said the following improvements give you the best "bang for your buck:"
- Curb appeal - spruce up landscaping with mulch and consider adding new front doors and garage doors.
- Make sure the home has a good roof (most important thing buyers look for).
- Get rid of those old carpets and have hardwood floors refinished.
- Use colors such as gray's, white's and beige's (no bright green rooms!).
- Don't go crazy on customizing kitchens and bathrooms. If done too much, those can actually drive-down the sale price as buyers will want to tear them out to put it something they like.
- The same idea goes for elaborate landscaping and outdoor kitchens. Not all buyers think that is a good use of space.
- Free-standing showers are in demand. Bathtubs with whirlpool jets are not.
- Many families are looking for homes that have 2 1/2 bathrooms.
- Consider selling your house now because demand is high and interest rates for mortgages are low (around 4%).
- Don't forget the power of paint. Taking down that old wallpaper and putting on a new coat of paint can make your home look like a million bucks - without spending much money on supplies.