DEPEW, N.Y. (WKBW) — Service has been restored to most of the 100+ homes in Depew that lost heat over the weekend due to a water main break that impacted a natural gas line as well.
On Sunday night, National Fuel said it could not gain access to six residences. So all homes save for those six had heat restored by Monday morning. More than half of the homes had gas service restored by Sunday afternoon, according to National Fuel.
The Depew Office of Emergency Management indicated the water main break happened Saturday morning around 5 a.m. on Eliot Avenue near Transit Road.
As a result in the "block" pictured above, between Transit and Lincoln and Olmsted and Walden, residents can expect their gas to be shut off at the meter.
The office of emergency management said National Fuel distributed electric heaters to the residents impacted.
National Fuel went door to door asking neighbors if they would utilize a shelter if one was set up. It said about 20 people said yes. The American Red Cross also set up a shelter in the Depew Senior Center Saturday night.
A handful of volunteers came and set up cots and had food and water on stand-by just in case anyone in the Village of Depew needed a warm place to stay.