BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Buffalo reached new heights as a visitor destination in 2018. Opening new attractions, hotels, restaurants and breweries, the region has set tourism records.
Visit Buffalo Niagara released new figures showing the record amounts of tourism brought to the area.
Highlights from the report include:
- Hotel room revenue in Erie County set a new record in 2018 of $257 million, an increase of $40 million from five years ago.
- Tourism spending in Erie County now totals $1.8 billion, growing by 11 percent over the last five years.
- Tourism employment has grown by 10 percent in five years, now supporting 33 thousand jobs.
- Visit Buffalo Niagara generated a record amount of out-of-town media coverage about Buffalo, placing more than 230 stories and hosting more than 50 travel media on press visits.
- VBN's sales team and the Buffalo Niagara Sports Commission collectively booked nearly 500 future meetings and sporting events worth $116 million in future economic impact. These events will fill more than 136 thousand hotel rooms.