BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Drivers in Western New York had a dicey morning commute Monday due to freezing drizzle creating icy roads and slick conditions.
A 16-vehicle crash occurred on the Route 33 westbound at the 90 which led to a three hour closure of the roadway.
Four drivers were transported to local hospitals but no injuries appear life threatening according to police.
Police say 11 of the 16 involved vehicles were towed and the cause of the crash was an icy roadway.
Here are the incidents reported by
throughout the morning:
- [CLEARED] RAMP I-90E TO ROUTE 33W - RAMP I-90E TO ROUTE 33W closed because of Crash. Reported at 6:20 am. (ID# 2490)
- [CLEARED] RAMP I-90W TO ROUTE 33W - RAMP I-90W TO ROUTE 33W closed because of Crash. Reported at 6:43 am. (ID# 2495)
- [CLEARED] I-190 Northbound - Crash at Exit 6 (Elm Street). Reported at 6:35 am. (ID# 2494) Lanes Affected: Left Lane Closed.
- [CLEARED] Route 33 Westbound - Closed at Genesee Street to Harlem Road (1.6 miles) because of Crash. Reported at 5:48 am and updated at 6:18 am. (ID# 2484)
- [CLEARED] Route 33 Westbound - Crash beyond Suffolk Street. Reported at 7:11 am. (ID# 2501) Lanes Affected: Right Lanes Closed.
- Route 33 Westbound - Congestion beyond Route 277 to beyond I-90 (0.5 miles). Reported at 6:02 am. (ID# 2486)
- [CLEARED] I-290 Eastbound - Congestion beyond Exit 3 (Niagara Falls Boulevard) to Exit 5 (Millersport Highway) (1.9 miles). Reported at 6:23 am. (ID# 2491)
The Buffalo Police Department issued this alert Monday morning.
Weather Alert: With freezing rain/drizzle this morning - City of Buffalo DPW crews salting mains, secondaries, bridges & overpasses. Motorists asked to use caution during the morning commute.— Buffalo Police Dept (@BPDAlerts) January 13, 2020