BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Buffalo Police reported smoke coming from a manhole cover at Amherst and Greenfield Streets with several traffic signals out in the area around 10 a.m. Saturday.
According to a National Grid spokesperson, there was an underground cable failure that caused a small fire.
Three circuits were damaged, one responsible for residential homes and businesses and two responsible for the Buffalo Zoo.
Buffalo Council member Joel Feroleto announced that power to the residential homes and businesses was restored around 3 p.m. Saturday.
With the combination of snow and cold, Buffalo Common Council member Joel Feroleto announced via Twitter that residents could head to the North Buffalo Community Center at 203 Sanders Road as warming center when the outage was in place.
The Buffalo Zoo remains closed.