KENDALL, N.Y. (AP) — A property caretaker has pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment in the carbon monoxide poisoning deaths of a mother and son in western New York.
David Wiley entered his plea Monday to the misdemeanor charge. He's set for sentencing July 1 and faces up to nine months in jail.
Thirty-eight-year-old Joan Gilman and her 14-year-old son, Richard Gilman Jr., died in April 2018 in their home in Kendall, near Rochester.
The home's power had been turned off.
Wiley looked after the duplex building where the Gilmans lived. Orleans County District Attorney Joe Cardone says Wiley ran a generator in a garage under their bedroom for 17 hours.
The prosecutor says Wiley left a door partly open to try to disperse the fumes but still committed "a terrible, reckless act."