TOWN OF TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WKBW) — A new playground in the Town of Tonawanda will now give ALL kids a place to play.
On Thursday, The Arc Erie County will debut its new, state of the art, inclusive playground. This early childhood playground is designed to enable children with developmental and physical challenges the chance to play alongside their peers.
The 4,900-square-foot playground, designed and built in partnership withMason’s Mission Foundation, features equipment selected for its ability to accommodate children with physical and intellectual limitations. The outdoor play area features:
· Wheelchair-friendly, poured-in-place rubberized surface
· We-Go-Around – Only the second installed in Western New York, an at-grade merry-go-round that children with mobility issues can get on.
· Wheelchair Platform Swing
· Multi-sensory stimulation equipment for children with intellectual disabilities
· Outdoor musical center with drums, chimes and xylophone
A grand opening ceremony is set for 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, followed by a children's playtime.
The new playground is located at The Arc Erie County, Preschool Education building on Yorkshire Road in the Town of Tonawanda. This is the former Green Acres School in the Ken-Ton District.