NewsLocal News


Man involved in crash on 190 says it took more than half an hour for help to arrive

"He kept on asking me when are they coming?"
Posted at 6:12 PM, Aug 02, 2019

A man who was involved in a three-vehicle crash on the 190 says it took more than half an hour for an ambulance to arrive.

The accident happened during rush hour Thursday afternoon, near the South Ogden Street exit.

Richard Jezierski said he stopped when traffic came to a hault, and that's when a motorcyclist crashed into his car.

Jezierski got out of his dodge ram expecting the worst outcome for the 25 year-old from Little Valley who hit him.

"He said he'd seen the brake lights and the next minute he said I couldn't stop, and he hit me but I think he tried to maybe get in between to avoid hitting me, I'm not sure," said Jezierski.

Dashcam footage from a WKBW staff member shows an ambulance driving to the scene, a total of two AMR ambulances appear in the footage.

Richard's fiance Roni Stasaitis says she got to the scene before paramedics arrived, and offered to help as she is a licensed nurse. But firefighters told her stand back and wait for help, which she said didn't get there for another ten for 15 minutes.

Stasaitis said she was frustrated that calls were made to 9-1-1 at 4:05 p.m., but the 25 year old didn't get medical attention till much later.

"He was laying on 120 degree pavement, I'm assuming it was that hot, for 40 minutes," she said.

"It was ridiculous. He kept on asking me 'When are they coming?' I said they're coming I said yes they're coming don't move," said Jezierski.

In a statement, an AMR spokesperson tells 7 EWN:

"All emergency calls for ambulance service on Interstate 190 are received and routed by a dispatch service, which is handled by A.D.I. Since we are not the call center, AMR cannot speak to how this particular call was received and routed, but we can confirm that once we received the call, an ambulance was immediately dispatched and arrived on the scene in under 13 minutes during rush hour traffic."
AMR Spokesperson

Jezierski said he and others were put on hold when they called 9-1-1. Stasaitis said there was a "squabble" over police jurisdiction and who would take responsibility for the scene.

"It's not AMR's fault, it's not the ambulance's fault, it's [that] they weren't called promptly," she said.

Jezierski says he hopes the 25 year-old motorcyclist ends up being okay.