NewsLocal News

Actions

Man hospitalized with burns after Batavia apartment fire

Posted at 4:38 AM, Aug 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-27 11:49:40-04

BATAVIA, N.Y. (WKBW) — A man was rushed to Strong Memorial Hospital Monday night after suffering serious burns during an intense fire at an apartment in Batavia.

Fire crews responded to the apartment on Bank Street around 9:15 p.m. They found the apartment consumed by flames.

City of Batavia Fire Department Chief Steve Napolitano told Video News Service crews couldn't get in at first, but once they could they had the fire knocked down quickly.

Napolitano said two people, a woman who lived there and her boyfriend, were inside at the time of the fire. They both got out on their own. The man is the one who was hospitalized. The woman was not hurt. A third person, a roommate, was not home at the time. Investigators say two cats did die in the fire.

The fire destroyed the apartment at Walden Estates on Bank Street. Investigators are now looking into how it started, centering on the kitchen.