NewsLocal News

Actions

Man dies from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning inside meth lab

Investigator describes it as one of the largest meth labs he has seen
meth-lab.jpg
Posted at 5:29 PM, Jun 20, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-20 21:00:49-04

FORESTVILLE, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a man who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning inside a home being used as a giant meth lab.

Deputies responded to a call for an unresponsive man in the basement of a home on Pearl Street in Forestville early Thursday morning.

Forestville Fire Chief Kyle Barthel tells 7 Eyewitness News the victim was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes because there was a portable generator set up in the basement.

"We believe that it was due to carbon monoxide from a generator that was in the basement," Barthel explained. "The generator was running prior to our arrival. By the tine we got there, we had high levels of carbon monoxide in the basement. We believe that is what he succumb to."

The man, identified as 35-year-old Tye Kenny, was taken to Erie County Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. His girlfriend, who also lived in the house, suffered a medical emergency and was also hospitalized, investigators said.

A HazMat team was at the scene throughout the day cleaning up materials from what one investigator called one of the largest meth labs he had ever seen.

Long-time next door neighbor Barbara Maxson says a couple lived in the home. She says the suspected drug dealing was taking place in the home for years.

"And nobody was doing anything about it - nobody - police were here all the time. Fights all the time going on. They're screaming a each other," said Maxson.

Neighbor Melody Voigt says it's been quote "hell" living across the street. .

"It's very scary. I have two children that live here and for the past year and half, I don't even let my kids in the front yard. That's been scary," remarked Voigt.

Charges are pending, investigators said.