NewsLocal News


Man and dog dead following fire in Batavia Saturday morning

Posted at 1:26 PM, Mar 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-01 18:17:54-04

BATAVIA, N.Y. (WKBW) — The City of Batavia Fire Department says a man and dog are dead following a Saturday morning fire on Evans Street.

According to officials, the department responded to a house fire at 109 Evans Street shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday.

Fire officials say there was heavy smoke and fire conditions upon arrival and a reported person entrapped on the second floor.

Firefighters were able to reach the man, identified as John Sherman Sr., and rescue him.

Sherman was transported to a local hospital where he later died.

Officials say a dog also died in the fire.

Two other dogs along with two cats and a chicken were able to escape the fire.

According to the fire department, the fire has been ruled accidental in nature and started within the kitchen.