NewsLocal News


Lockport firefighters battle live ammo, propane cylinder, live wire and other hazards, plus a fire

Posted at 6:18 AM, Feb 15, 2019

LOCKPORT, N.Y. (WKBW) — Fire investigators are trying to figure out what caused a fire that destroyed a home in the city of Lockport, and killed three dogs.

The fire started around 9 p.m. Thursday at a home on Plank Road. A crew under the direction of the assistant chief responded to find the home completely up in flames.

That's when the assistant chief called in a second alarm, causing 17 firefighters to rush to the scene from home, along with the city fire chief and safety officer.

The firefighters battled a host of issues associated with the fire:

  • the nearest fire hydrant was located over 1600 feet away from the residence, forcing firefighters to advance hundreds of feet of supply hose by hand
  • a propane cylinder weighing 100 pounds was receiving both direct and radiant heat from the fire, forcing them to direct a hose line onto the cylinder and the surrounding area so that firefighters could remove it
  • a live power line came down in the front yard, necessitating a call to NYSEG
  • the street and driveway started out icy and only got worse
  • a large amount of live ammunition stored within the residence began to go off as firefighters continued to pour water into the structure

Despite all that, firefighters only reported minor injuries.

“They were hand laying five inch hose from the attack engine back down, that’s about 800 feet of hose that they pulled down the driveway and over. Expended a lot of manpower and three men doing that, but they got the job done," Lockport Fire Chief, Patrick Brady, said. "We had to institute what is known as a relay pump, our original water supply engine was stationed in the middle of that process to provide pressure to our attack engine so that we would have enough water supply for firefighting operations.”

The fire was declared under control at 10:15 p.m. as crews worked to extinguish the fire burning under a section of steel roofing that had collapsed into the main living area of the home.

Once this portion of fire was extinguished, firefighters were able to recover the body of one of the three dogs that was inside. The other dogs' bodies were not immediately found.

Due to the extensive damage to the structure, the fire chief decided to not allow anyone to make any further entry into what remained of the home.

The fire was declared out just before 1 a.m. Friday. A fire watch was left on scene overnight to monitor the site for any flare-ups or hot spots.

The chief said the homeowners were seeking shelter and assistance from the Red Cross.