NewsLocal News


Woman dies after Depew mobile home fire

Posted at 1:24 AM, Oct 05, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-05 13:00:09-04

DEPEW, N.Y. (WKBW) — A dangerous scene erupted in Depew early Monday morning.

Fire crews were called to the scene on Transit Road just after midnight, where flames were engulfing a mobile home inside the Transit-Cayuga Village Mobile Home Park. A 911 call was made by the homeowner alerting first responders that she was trapped inside the burning structure.

An unresponsive woman, identified as 49-year-old Michele A. Ackley, was pulled from the fire by firefighters. Following an attempt at CPR, Ackley was taken to Sisters of Charity Hospital, St. Joseph Campus where she was pronounced dead.

A 16-year-old girl and a cat escaped the fire before first responders arrived. The family's dog died in the fire.

Investigators determined the cause of the fire to be a faulty clothes dryer.