BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Erie County District Attorney's Office announced the arrest of a landlord after two children were hospitalized for lead poisoning two years apart.
41-year-old Maxim Levin was arraigned before a Buffalo City Court Judge Tuesday morning. He is accused of failing to comply with public health law by continuing to allow tenants to live at 451 Fargo Avenue in willful violation of a "do not occupy" order issued by the Erie County Health Department.
County health officials were notified about a child with an elevated blood lead level in 2016. Health officials inspected the residence. Prosecutors say the county tried to work with Levin.
Health officials were then called again about a second child with an elevated blood lead level at the same address.
The health department placed a "Do Not Allow Occupancy of Dwelling Unit" notice on the property in September 2018 as a result of the residence not being in compliance of the law. In January 2019, inspectors found the residence was occupied.
Levin was charged with one count of willful violation of health laws and if convicted, he faces up to one year in prison. He is set to appear in court April 3rd.