KENMORE, N.Y. (WKBW) — Drive down Wardman Road in Kenmore, and you’ll see construction vehicles littering the street, broken pipes on front lawns, holes in the ground and debris blocking houses and sidewalks.
It’s all part of a major re-construction project by the Village to rehab the sidewalks, street lights, storm drains, curbs and waterlines on Wardman. The $2.5 million project started in may, but neighbors feel this project will never be done by the expected completion date of November 1.
“It looks like a bomb went off,” said Andy Kucserik, who lives on the street. “Supposedly they’re supposed to be working here six days a week, I don’t see that,” he said.
Kucserik and other neighbors tell 7 Eyewitness News this project has been a nightmare all summer long, and say it’s been a public safety hazard. They say the contractor, DJM Construction has left dangerous debris on the front lawns of those who live there.
Earlier this week, Kucserik says fire trucks responding to an emergency couldn’t make it down the road.
“The fire trucks could not get down the street because of the construction vehicles in front of our houses,” he said.
Kenmore Mayor Patrick Mang says the construction company working on the project did alert the fire department of road closures ahead of time, and have done things to address the cleanup efforts regarding equipment on lawns.
Still—Mang admits the project has taken longer than expected.
“It has dragged on,” Mang said. “Public safety wise, it is an active construction zone, so there is going to be things strewn about.”
The project is supposed to be done by November 1, but Mang says there have been some set backs with that timetable.
“We’re not happy, but hopeful that the contractor is going to be able to get this done on time,” he said.
We did reach out to DJM Contracting for a comment.