BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — "We have an amazing opportunity," says the author of a new report calling on New York State to expand Buffalo's Outer Harbor state park.
“There’s nothing like our Outer Harbor on the Great Lakes – natural beauty, historic landmarks, recreational opportunities – all within minutes of downtown ” says Sam Magavern, from the Partnership for the Public Good.
PPG Buffalo released its new report Monday, featuring a comprehensive analysis of the assets and challenges of the Outer Harbor and explains why a state park is the best use of the land.
The report breaks down 14 reasons why a state park makes sense, including:
· Protection of important, fragile natural and historic assets;
· Prime locations for fishing, sailing, hiking, birding, and other recreation;
· Addition of parkland to a city that is under-parked, located accessible to city residents facing severe health challenges;
· Positive impacts on tourism dollars, property values, reduced health costs, reduced air and water pollution, and community cohesion.
· Connectivity with Niagara River Greenway, Empire State Trail, and other parks.
You can read the entire report by following