TOWN OF TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WKBW) — Beth Pauly is Beth the Tech Tutor from the Town of Tonawanda. She has been teaching seniors how to use computers, phones, televisions systems; you name it, for a few years now.
Her businesses involve going to houses to help people one-on-one for about an hour session. During this time of social distancing, she is offering her services for free. She says she is willing to help seniors if they are having some tech problems during this time of isolation.
You can call her at (716) 481-2054 and like her on Facebook.
She gave us five tech tips for seniors to keep in mind right now.
1. Virus protection:
- Beth recommends people use a standard anti-virus protection software for their computers.
2. Do not click on unsafe sites.
- Beth recommends using common sense, and if a website doesn't look right, move on.
3. Make sure all your systems are up-to-date. Whether you have Microsoft or Windows, it's essential to keep them as updated as possible.
4. Use FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, or Google Duo/hangout for video chatting.
- Beth says these are the most common ways people are connecting. You need an iPhone or iPad for FaceTime but can use the others on any device.
5. If you're having trouble, YouTube is an excellent source for help.
- Beth recommends looking at the Tech Boomers YouTube because they have easy to understand videos on how to navigate social media, computers, and your phone.