CLARENCE, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Clarence Fire Department is investigating what caused a house fire on Wehrle Drive.
The call came in just after 9 Monday night. Witnesses say they saw smoke coming from the chimney area and second floor.
Fire officials say the flames originated near the chimney but dropped into the home's basement.
Firefighters from Clarence, Clarence Center, and Main Transit worked together to extinguish the fire. It was under control within a half hour. One firefighter was evaluated for an ankle injury.
The fire did $275,000 in damage and the caused the death of the family cat.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.