BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Feedmore Western New York is hoping about 500 Western New Yorkers will simply walk. Walk Off Hunger is the organization's annual way to celebrate what it does and help fight hunger, but this year it will look a little different.
"Now more than ever it's important that the Western New York community support Western New York and the work we're doing to feed our neighbors in need. One in six Western New Yorkers can be suffering from hunger because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Right now we need all the help we can get to make sure no one in our community goes hungry," said Anne McKenna, Feedmore WNY's Chief Communications officer.
Walk Off Hunger will run from October 3rd to October 11th. It's normally an all day event filled with games and fun where Western New Yorkers can use their feet to feed the community.
"Unfortunately this year we've had to change the model up a little bit," McKenna said.
So Feedmore WNY has come up with what they're calling the hybrid model of walk off hunger. There's three different ways one can participate.
- You can register and walk your own route in honor of Feedmore WNY.
- You can download one of Feedmore WNY's DIY walk routes for some scenic paths around the area.
- You can join others for a socially distant meet up at one of seven locations on October 3rd or October 10th.
At the socially distant meet ups, you register with a representative from Feedmore, receive a goodie bag and then can walk the route. The meet ups are from 10 a.m. to noon.
The socially distant meet ups are as follows:
HoliMont Ski Club, 6921 Route 242, Ellicottville, NY 14731 (Cattaraugus County)
- Lakeside Park, 50 W. Lake Road, Mayville, NY 14757 (Chautauqua County)
- Outer Harbor – Wilkeson Pointe, 225 Fuhrmann Blvd., Buffalo, NY 14203 (Erie County)
- Knox Farm State Park, 437 Buffalo Road, East Aurora, NY 14052 (Erie County)
- Reinstein Nature Preserve, 93 Honorine Drive, Depew, NY 14043 (Erie County)
- Congregation Shir Shalom (4660 Sheridan Drive, Williamsville, NY 14221 (Erie County)
- Goat Island, 24 Buffalo Ave., Niagara Falls, NY 14303 (Niagara County)
Registration is $25 per person. If you have a group of four or more, registration is $20 per person. Children 15 and younger are free.