BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Erie County Sheriff's Office is warning you about a fake jury call scam.
Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard says individuals are falsely representing themselves as Sheriff’s detectives are placing scam calls to people in the area about jury duty.
The caller states the following
- They are a detective
- The call is about a failure to answer a jury summons
- The matter can be rectified if the individual pays a fine
- Payment arrangements can be made over the phone
- The person can make their payment in person at 10 Delaware Avenue
According to the Sheriff's Office, these claims are false and you are urged to ignore the call and hang up right away.
The Erie County Sheriff does not do the following
- Attempt to collect fines via phone calls
- Request payments are made using gift cards or prepaid cards
- Accept any payments for fines at 10 Delaware Avenue