NewsLocal News


Elderly couple injured in house explosion in Albion

Posted at 7:57 PM, Jan 16, 2019
and last updated 2019-01-17 12:28:04-05

ALBION, N.Y. (WKBW) — An elderly couple are hospitalized after a fire and explosion in their home on Elmwood Avenue in the Village of Albion.

The Albion Police Department says emergency crews were called to the home for a fire around 6:20 p.m. Wednesday. When they arrived, the home was fully engulfed and a man and woman were found in the front yard with burns.

Vincenzo Spampanato, 81 and Felicia Spampanato, 72, were taken to Strong Memorial Hospital's Burn Unit and remain in guarded condition, Thursday.

The initial investigation has found that Vincenzo Spampanato was working on a gas heating appliance in the basement of the home when the explosion happened. Police say the investigation is still on-going.