WESTFIELD, N.Y. (WKBW) — On July first, KISS Barbeque in Westfield was undergoing a remodel to comply with state health department regulations.
"We were actually removing a lot of the tables on the inside, just having outside seating and takeout," said Ryan Marsh, owner of the restaurant.
Marsh was painting the front door when a fire started in the attic.
"[Firefighters] tried to knock it down initially, it flared back up. It caught some grease and stuff in the attic and around where the hood vent stuff is and...went up pretty bad."
It was so bad that they will have to tear down the whole back side of the building.
Marsh tells 7 Eyewitness News they're working on repairing the restaurant every day. It's no easy feat, but they've gotten a lot of help.
People all the way from Erie, Pennsylvania to Canada have helped raise more than $6,000 to help the barbecue spot rebuild.
"With that much outpouring of support it was a no-brainer for us you know to want to rebuild right here. If we have that much support in our community we want to support them back," he said. "It was very surprising and flattering to see the outpouring of support. We've had tons of people stop in person, hit us up online, call our phones."
Marsh said the back side of the building is where the kitchen is, they'll have to rebuild that, the attic and redo the floors. But the outside dining area was untouched and will stay the same.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help cover the rebuilding expenses, and a PayPal account has been set up as well.
"We're looking at a ton of work, but you know, just take it day by day, and keep on going. We're going to get there. We'll be back eventually here,"said Marsh.