NewsLocal News


Cell phone video: Lockport man takes out gun following crash in North Buffalo

Prosecutors say he bit and shoved female driver
Posted at 12:12 PM, Jul 17, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-17 18:36:16-04

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — A Lockport man is facing harassment charges after prosecutors say he got into a violent confrontation with a woman and pulled out a gun following a minor traffic incident in North Buffalo. Part of the confrontation was captured on cell phone video.

Jeffrey Calhoun, 62, is charged with two counts of harassment, attempted robbery, and menacing. He pleaded not guilty to all charges this morning in Buffalo City Court.

According to prosecutors, Calhoun tried to steal the purse of a woman after both drivers got out of their cars on Colvin Avenue between Sanders and St. Lawrence yesterday. Prosecutors say Calhoun claimed to be a police officer, grabbed the woman, bit her left arm, threw her to the ground and "placed the victim in fear of physical injury by displaying a handgun."

"When I went to go reach over to get my insurance card, he took my keys out of my car," said the victim Jeanneie Muhammad.

She says Calhoun was afraid she was going to "leave the scene" and attempted to hold her there by grabbing on to her purse. She says when she tried to walk to the sidewalk, he slammed her down to the ground and bit her arm.

"I was very demoralized by it and I'm in a lot of pain," she said.

Calhoun gun cell phone video

Cell phone video of the incident shows Calhoun holding the purse while the woman tries to get it back from him. As the person recording the video approaches Calhoun with others, Calhoun can be seen showing a gun.

Precious Santiaga shot the video. She saw the confrontation happening from her home across the street.

"I can't even watch the video," she said. "What man would do that to a woman. All I was trying to do was get him off."

Moments later, a Buffalo police officer pulled up to the scene. Calhoun can be seen walking toward the police car as others shouted that he had a gun. He was taken into custody a short time later.

A judge set bail at $75,000 and ordered Calhoun to dispose of his guns. Court documents obtained by 7 Eyewitness News show he did have a license to carry a firearm.

He is scheduled to appear back in court on July 22.