NewsLocal News


Buffalo State welcomes students back on campus at reduced capacity

Posted at 6:09 PM, Aug 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-19 18:14:05-04

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Spirits were high on Wednesday as Buffalo State College students headed into their new door rooms. Around 1,600 students returned to the SUNY college this semester. A 1/3 decrease compared to past years.

“Even though this is a really different campus, our students are eager to be back in place and we’re excited to have them back,” president of Buffalo State College Katherine Conway-Turner said.

All students returning to campus this fall must quarantine, including students from New York State, and students from states not on New York State’s mandatory quarantine list.

“It’s a bit more of a conservative approach, but one we felt that was best to keep our campus and our community safe,” Vice President of Student Affairs Timothy Gordon said.

Student from New York State and from states not on New York State’s mandatory quarantine list must self-isolate for seven days. All other students must quarantine for 14 days. During that isolation time, breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be delivered to each student's dorm.

“We worked so hard to make sure that as they come back, all the safety protocols are in place," Conway-Turner said.

Buffalo State's fall semester begins August 31 with 75% of courses being held online — the other 25 percent will be in held in a hybrid or in-person format.