NewsLocal News

Actions

Baby boy among 17 new cases of coronavirus in Ontario

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WKBW.png
Posted at 12:50 PM, Mar 12, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-12 14:48:43-04

TORONTO (WKBW) — The government of Ontario has announced 17 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number in the province to 59.

The new cases include a baby boy, who health officials say was in close contact with another patient and attended North York General Hospital in Toronto.

The province says it doesn't appear that any of the cases were due to community transmission.

The new patients are in regions across southern Ontario, including Toronto, Peel, Waterloo and Muskoka. All have been released into self-isolation.

Some of the patients had recently travelled to places including the United States, Spain and Puerto Rico.

The province says it has tested more than 4,100 people for the virus so far, and the vast majority of the tests have come back negative.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 12.