BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — Congressman Brian Higgins (D) Buffalo is asking the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to expand a pilot program that has been successful in Florida with controlling toxic algae blooms.
Higgins would like to see the program expanded to include the Great Lakes - especially Lake Erie.
Algae blooms are a health hazard to humans and can be fatal to pets.
The blooms develop through a combinations of light, heat and nutrients. It is believed that sewage discharge and farm fertilizer runoff are causing the increased problems because often those contain phosphorous.
Here in WNY, the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has been tracking "Harmful Algal Blooms," also known as HABs.
Reports of suspected problem blooms have been made in places like Chestnut Ridge Park, Bear Lake and multiple locations on Chautauqua Lake.
The following information is from the NYSDEC:
Because it is hard to tell a HAB from non-harmful algal blooms, it is best to avoid swimming, boating, otherwise recreating in, or drinking water with a bloom. Keep reading to learn what to do if you spot a bloom. Click on the links below for more detailed information.
Most algae are harmless and are an important part of the food web. Certain types of algae can grow quickly and form blooms, which can cover all or portions of a lake. Even large blooms are not necessarily harmful. However some species of algae can produce toxins that can be harmful to people and animals. Blooms of algal species that can produce toxins are referred to as harmful algal blooms (HABs). HABs usually occur in nutrient-rich waters, particularly during hot, calm weather.
Algal blooms may have the
appearance of spilled green paint.
- People, pets and livestock should avoid contact with any floating mats, scums, or discolored water. Colors can include shades of green, blue-green, yellow, brown or red.
- Never drink, prepare food, cook, or make ice with untreated surface water, whether or not algae blooms are present. In addition to toxins, untreated surface water may contain bacteria, parasites, or viruses that could cause illness if consumed.
- People not on public water supplies should not drink surface water during an algal bloom, even if it is treated, because in-home treatments such as boiling, disinfecting water with chlorine or ultraviolet (UV), and water filtration units do not protect people from HABs toxins.
If contact occurs:Rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.
- Stop using water and seek medical attention immediately if symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reactions, or breathing difficulties occur after drinking or having contact with blooms or untreated surface water.
Before you go in the water, find out what waterbodies have blooms or have had them in the past. DEC maintains a HABs Notifications page of waterbodies that currently have blooms. Please note that if a waterbody is not listed, it does not mean that it does not have a bloom. It may have one that was not reported. Find out what waterbodies have had blooms in the past on the HABs Archive page . For additional information, please see the DEC Program Guide (PDF) , updated in 2019.
- HABs may have the appearance of pea soup.If you suspect that you have seen a HAB, please report the HAB to DEC. Fill out and submit a Suspicious Algal Bloom Report Form (leaves DEC website). If possible, attach digital photos (close-up and landscape to show extent and location) of the suspected HAB in the web form. Email HABsInfo@dec.ny.gov if you are not able to complete the form.
- Please report any health symptoms to NYS Health Department at email@example.com and your local health department (leaves DEC website).
Algal BloomsHABs can form in marine waters, producing
and a variety of biotoxin events that occur off the coast of New York and other eastern and coastal states. The DEC Bureau of Marine Resources has a
Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Program
to search for the presence of toxin-producing marine algae (Alexandrium and others) and to detect marine biotoxins in shellfish, such as clams, mussels and oysters.