You're not the only one who will be licking their chops this Thanksgiving.
Pets across the country will go into a feasting frenzy with all that food sitting on the table. That's why The SPCA Serving Erie County is issuing these holiday reminders all in the name of keeping your furry friend out of trouble.
From The SPCA Serving Erie County:
Hungry Pets: Too many holiday treats won't only pack the pounds on us…they'll pack them on our pets. Many pets are on standard, limited diets; feeding them large quantities of food they don't normally receive could cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, none of which are welcome during this festive holiday…or at any other time, for that matter. Use discretion. Turkey bones are also dangerous for pets. A brittle, spiky bone could cause irritation of the stomach or intestines, or could lodge in your pet's esophagus.
No Bread For Barney: Think twice before leaving that homemade bread dough atop the oven to rise. According to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, when bread dough is ingested, an animal's body heat causes the dough to rise in the stomach. As alcohol is produced during the rising process, the dough expands. Pets who have eaten bread dough may experience abdominal pain, vomiting, disorientation and depression.
Peanut Butter Warning: Using peanut butter as a holiday treat for your pet? Remember to check the label! Xylitol is a sugar substitute now added to some peanut butters. It's safe for most humans, but deadly to pets, even in small quantities! Find more information here! It's also a bad idea to give any animal caffeine-laced peanut butter; serious health problems could ensue.
Garbage Pickers: Some animals patiently wait for the chance to pick through the garbage when you're not around. Aluminum foils with juices, plastic wraps with frostings, even tasty strings from tying turkeys…well, the temptation can just be too much for your deprived pets. Keep your garbage bags away from where pets can chew through them to get to the goods. Ingestion of these items can be life-threatening.
Sweet Temptations: Chocolate Can Be Fatal to Pets: Chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine, a compound very similar to caffeine in structure. Theobromine can be toxic to dogs and cats in small quantities, causing vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures, rapid and irregular heartbeats, muscle tremors, coma, even death. Keep chocolate safely away from all animals.
Potpourri Problems: Thanks to Debbie from Sherwin-Williams on Sheridan Dr., Tonawanda for this pet safety tip. Of course we want our homes to smell nice when guests arrive…but be mindful that liquid and other types of potpourri, especially sprinkled into rugs, along with many scented essential oils are toxic to dogs and cats. Read more about the overall effect on pets, the dangers to cats, and the dangers to dogs.
You can contact the SPCA's Lipsey Clinic at 716-531-4700 for additonal holiday medical reminders.