A Jamestown man could spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted on multiple federal sex charges involving children.
Federal prosecutors have accused James Chapman, 37, of the following:
- attempting to coerce a minor to engage in prostitution and sexual activity in 2014
- recruiting two minors to engage in sexual activity in 2014
- producing a visual depiction of their encounter
- distributing an image of child pornography depicting said encounter on multiple occasions between 2016-2017
- coercing a third minor to engage in sexually explicit conduct in 2017
- producing, receiving, possessing and distributing child pornography depicting the third minor
- lying to an FBI agent in 2018 about whether he knew the first two victims were minors
- possessing images of child pornography on his cell phone and on social media
All in all, Chapman faces 14 charges, which carry a mandatory minimum penalty of 15 years in prison, a maximum of life, and a $250,000 fine.
Chapman was arraigned Thursday afternoon and is scheduled to be back in court on March 12.
Meantime, investigators are asking anyone with information about Chapman's contact with minors to call the FBI Buffalo office. They said Chapman also went by the aliases "Fatz Guy" and "Perverted Doe." The number for the office is 716-856-7800. Once you dial, press zero and ask to speak with an agent about James Chapman.