ID for children: protecting them and their documents

Posted at 6:00 AM, Aug 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-22 08:33:59-04

Police are making a push for parents to get non-driver identification for their children.

It is a way to have a child in the state database in case of an emergency.

“We would have their data stored, as well as their photo, and their fingerprint. So, we could share that with other law enforcement agencies throughout the state, and throughout the United States if necessary,” said Stuart Woodside, in the Erie County Sheriff’s Office.

The Erie County Sheriff gives out I-D’s all year round for free, but if you want a card that can work as a legal document, you’ll want to head to the DMV.

So what’s the difference between an enhanced and real ID for children?

According to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles website, an enhanced ID is Federal REAL ID Compliant.

Meaning, you can use the card for your child to: 

-to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.)

-to enter a federal building or military base

-to cross a U.S. border coming from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries (it is not acceptable for air travel between these countries)

-for photo identification purposes

It will cost an extra $30 on top of the regular ID fees, but parents tell 7ABC that having a card for a wallet gives them more assurance that intangible documents like a social security card or birth certificate won’t get lost or ruined.



Have a news tip, question or comment?


Take WKBW Everywhere, on all your devices.  Download below!

Phone or Tablet: Apple, Android
Set-top Device: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Alexa

Personalize your news, get the latest 7 First Alert Forecast, and watch 7 Eyewitness News video wherever, whenever.

Learn more here about what 7 Eyewitness News provides on all these devices.