Thirteen Buffalo priests are accused of committing sexual offenses against minors, according to lawyers who are planning a news conference for Tuesday morning.
Minnesota law firm Anderson Advocates, which specializes in cases of sexual abuse by clergy, plans to release a report Tuesday at the Hyatt hotel in downtown Buffalo that details "assignments and information regarding the alleged perpetrators," lawyers said in a media advisory sent to reporters on Monday.
The lawyers, in addition to detailing the new claims of sexual abuse by priests in the diocese, will call on Bishop Richard Malone to release the names of priests who have been accused of sexual abuse in the past few decades.
The diocese has steadfastly refused to release the names in the past, even though victims say the release of the names and files regarding sexual abuse by priests helps in their healing process and discourages abuse from happening again.
Malone, when he announced a compensation program for victims of sexual abuse March 1, said he was "reconsidering that policy."
The lawyers who are putting together the report urged Malone then to release the names. Calls for more transparency have been surfacing from victims and advocates ever since victim Michael Whalen came forward last month with allegations against Father Norbert Orsolits.
“The New York bishops have been thinking about releasing names for decades,” Attorney Mike Reck said in a news release. “The time for accountability and truth is now. The offenders need to be exposed because children are at risk and survivors are suffering in secrecy, silence and shame.”