Batavia Police say they have received several complaints of counterfeit bills being passed at local businesses.
Police are reminding the public to check their money carefully. If you think you have received fake money, report it.
Here are some things to check for on U.S. currency to make sure your bills are real.
- Check the bill denomination on the bottom right hand corner for color shifting ink.
- Run your fingernail down the collar/jacket to feel for raised printing. You should feel some vibration on your nail from the ridges.
- If you notice blurry borders, printing or text, this should be an automatic red flag.
- If you take a close look at an authentic bill, you will notice small red and blue threads woven through the fabric of the bill.
- There should be a watermark on the bill. On many new bills, the watermark is a replica of the face on the bill.