When mother of two, Renee Sobol, found out she was pregnant with her first child she was devastated to learn her corporate employer wouldn't work with her to help put her family first.
That's why the North Tonawanda mom decided to become her own boss. Sobol has two kids, two year-old Oliver and four month-old Amelia. She's now able to put her family's needs first and make almost as much money as she was making during her previous nine-to-five.
Full time work for Sobol is about 20 hours a week. That 20 hours can be done while she's feeding Amelia or cutting up grapes for Oliver. She's turned to direct sales, selling Mary Kay cosmetics and skincare. During her first year selling Mary Kay, she was able to bring in about two thirds of her previous income.
"It's great to have the flexibility to work where I am, especially where my kids are. If it's nice outside we can go out, go to the park. I just need my phone and my planner," says Sobol. She says its crucial for her to be able to contribute to her family's finances and be able to spend time with her children.
We did a little research to find out how you can make money from home too!
- Consider direct sales, just like Renee. There are hundreds of options ranging from cosmetics to wellness. You can start some direct sales businesses for as little as $100.
- If you're tech savvy, try working for a company like Leapforce. They have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. You'll work as an independent contractor doing internet based research. You could earn about $13 per hour.
- If you've got great people skills, there are hundreds of companies that hire at-home customer service representatives. Use a reputable job site like Flexjobs to search positions in your area.
- If you love to teach, consider tutoring or teaching English to non-native speakers! Companies like VIPkid train you and pay about $15 an hour.
- If you have some seed money to start an at-home business, think about franchising. Moms on the Run can get you active and networking with like-minded people. Dream Vacations allows you to start a home-based travel agency for as little as $3,500 . You'll make commission and also get discounted or free travel!
- If you're crafty, start an online store on a site like Etsy!
Remember to always check with the Better Business Bureau, friends, family and review sites to make sure the company you want to work for is reputable.
Parenting isn't perfect, but there are hundreds of options to find a job that will perfectly balance your family and your work.