How to file for an extension on your taxes

Posted at 6:25 AM, Apr 17, 2018

Time is running out to file your taxes without being penalized.

The deadline to send in your tax returns is Tuesday, April 17; the deadline is usually April 15 but it was bumped back this year because the 15th fell on a weekend and Monday, the 16th, was Emancipation Day, which is recognized as a holiday in Washington, D.C.

So what do you do if you need extra time?

Luckily, the IRS says not to panic. You also have until the end of the day Tuesday to file for an extension. Doing so will give you until October 15 your taxes, and you can find a link to request an extension through the IRS here.

You can also mail in an IRS Form 4868; the above link has a copy you can download and print out. But if you still have questions, you can also speak with a tax preparer to help you request an extension.

And New Yorkers even have another resource at their disposal. The state Department of Taxation and Finance is extending hours at its call center to answer all of your questions.

Just call (518) 457-5181 between 8:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

You can also visit the department's website for extra tips on making sure your taxes or extensions are filed on time.