News

Actions

Mom warns about hoverboards after one explodes

Posted: 2:02 PM, Dec 03, 2015
Updated: 2015-12-03 19:02:33Z

Pamela Levine says her 11-year-old daughter, Sophie, just missed getting injured by her hoverboard Saturday night.

"She felt it get hot, she jumped off, and it was in flames," she said.

Levine quickly put water on the flames, and says the fire was out before firefighters arrived.

On Wednesday, she had crews inside her home cleaning up the mess left behind and repairing the damage to her kitchen.

One of the men helping with the mess was David Evanosky. He says he just bought a similar hoverboard for his grandson.

"It's the hottest thing out there. All the kids want it. I've got three grandkids that want it," he said.

After seeing what happened at Levine's house, he says he plans on returning the toy. "I'm going to return it. There's no way I'm going to let my grandson on that thing. I was going to buy two others."

Levine admits she was going to buy two more for her kids, but says she won't be buying anymore after what happened. "We're never getting another one. We're done. Done."

Michael Lasalle is the assistant chief of Boca Raton Fire Rescue. He says parents need to make sure a toy is UL approved before buying it for their kids.

"Some of the units are not safe. Be careful what you purchase," he said.

The news comes just days after a family in Louisiana lost their home to a fire caused by a hoverboard .

 

 
 

 

Stay in Touch Anywhere, Anytime with News, Weather and Video -- Download the WKBW app:

Android App

iPhone/iPad App

Or Sign Up for Our Newsletters -- Delivered to Your E-mail:

E-News, Forecast and Bills Beat Newsletters