News

Actions

Hoverboard overheats, catches fire

Posted: 1:59 PM, Mar 29, 2016
Updated: 2016-03-30 10:07:21Z

One of the hottest gadgets of the Christmas season is blamed for sparking a small fire in Buffalo.

Firefighters responded to 451 Doat Street around 6 p.m. Monday, where a hoverboard overheated and caught fire.

Flames caused $500 damage to the home. The $300 hoverboard was destroyed.

Safety concerns about overheating hoverboards have sprouted up across the country since the holiday season. The Consumer Products Safety Commission is investigating dozens of hoverboard fires nationwide.

Several major retailers, including Target, Toys "R" Us and Amazon have stopped selling them altogether because of potential risks.

The NFTA has also banned the boards from both the Buffalo-Niagara International Airport and the Niagara Falls International Airport. Many airlines do not allow the gadgets in checked and carry-on baggage because their lithium batteries are combustible and can start on fire.