Here's what we know about the fire at the former Bethlehem Steel site in Lackawanna:
- It started shortly after 7 a.m.
- According to Lackawanna officials, the fire was likely caused by a hot light bulb that was dropped onto combustible materials.
- Route 5 is closed indefinitely - possibly up to 24 hours. It is closed for a two mile stretch from Ridge Road to Lake Avenue.
- One Buffalo firefighter has suffered a broken ankle.
- The building is the size of 6 square blocks.
- Authorities are urging residents from Lackawanna to Athol Springs to shelter in place.
- Frontier Central Schools moved their elementary school kids to other local districts because of the smoke. They were released once the Town of Hamburg lifted its shelter in place.
- The Department of Environmental Conservation and the Coast Guard are monitoring air and water quality.
- The Erie County Department of Health is advising those close to the fire and those downwind to avoid exposure to the smoke as much as possible. If exposure to high levels of smoke cannot be avoided, limit physical exertion.