wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

HAZMAT crews work to contain 5,000 gallon acid spill

Posted at 8:01 AM, Feb 07, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-07 08:01:53-05

Air quality and pollution levels were monitored overnight, Tuesday, after a chemical fire on Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo.

5,000 gallons of acid were oozing out of massive vats, found burning, when firefighters got to the scene about 11:00 p.m. Monday.

The fire was at a factory-- right behind The Foundry-- down the block from Home Depot.

HAZMAT teams worked for hours to get this under control.

"Things weren't going out of control.  Things weren't getting bad, so we could step back and take a slow, safe approach to it.  No injuries," Division Chief Peter Kertzie said.

The chief said some acid got into the sewer, but it wasn't enough to cause concern.

A heating coil in the vat is believed to have caused the fire.