Letter carriers will be getting quite the workout Saturday, and they're just fine with that.
The National Association of Letter Carriers is holding its 26th annual Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive nationwide. People are asked to leave non-perishable food near their mailbox in the morning for letter carriers to pick up.
Last year, communities in Western New York donated more than 1.3 million pounds of food, all of which stayed in the area to help local families in need.
Here is a list of food items most in need:
- Canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon)
- Canned and boxed meals (soup, chili, macaroni and cheese)
- Canned or dried beans and peas
- Rice cereal
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Cooking oil
- Boxed cooking mixes (pancake, breads)
- 100% fruit juice (canned, plastic or boxed)