News

Actions

Funeral services announced for young burn victim

Posted: 10:09 PM, Apr 27, 2016
Updated: 2016-04-29 14:55:42-04

Funeral services have been announced for 8-year-old Treasure Brighon.  The little girl died on Sunday, two months after suffering severe burns in a house fire. 

Treasure was pulled from her burning home on Humber Avenue in Buffalo last February.  The fire killed her step-father, Demetrius Johnson and Juan Montanez, who lived upstairs.

Treasure suffered burns over 90% of her body and had been receiving treatment in the pediatric burn center at Shriners Hospital for Children in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Fire investigators announced this week that the blaze was accidental and was sparked by faulty wiring in the kitchen.

Services will be held Monday at 10am, at True Bethel Baptist Church on East Ferry Street in Buffalo.

7 Eyewitness News spoke with Dr. Bill Flynn who is the director of the burn unit at ECMC. Dr. Flynn did not work on Brighon's case

"It's been my experience over the course of my career that patients may take a long time to heal but they can get sick awful fast."

Dr. Flynn says generally a patient with burns over 90% of their body has a slim chance of survival. 

"The first threat to somebody's life after they get burned extensively is shock, inter-vascular volume losses that require fluid resuscitation."

Dr. Flynn says the second biggest risk is infection. 

"When a burn patient whose been massively burned gets an invasive infection, the bacteria enters the blood stream and you go into a different type of shock and your blood pressure falls, your organ profusion falls and you get very, very sick."

Dr. Flynn says fire prevention and safety is critical. Click here to learn more about keeping your family safe.