wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

New furnaces given away to prevent CO poisoning

Posted at 12:34 PM, Dec 23, 2014
and last updated 2015-12-18 12:34:22-05

It's out with the old and in with a new furnace. Tim Wisniewski received a free furnace at his home in Tonwanda after professionals say it was leaking carbon monoxide.

“It’s really great! We are grateful,” Wisniewski said.

This donation is courtesy of the Amanda Hansen Foundation. Amanda died of carbon monoxide poisoning in 2009. Since then her father Ken Hansen has been raising awareness about the dangers of the gas.

He teamed up with companies across the area to give away furnaces to those who need it most.

“We started our furnace give away by purchasing four furnaces. Then we had five companies step up and now we have 17 furnaces,” Hansen said.

Kelsey Williams was Amanda's friend and her family owns Reimer Heating & Cooling. She said, “It definitely touches home and makes me happy that we could be a part of the Amanda Hansen Foundation and help others so they don't end up like Amanda."

Now the foundation is also looking for more money to keep programs like this going and they are asking the community for help. You can learn more about making a donation here.

“We always are looking for support. We are going to pass out CO Detectors. We already passed out thousands,” Hansen said.

They have a few more furnaces to give away but they say there iare events to come in January, which is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month.