With Western New York's warm weather lately, you may be thinking that you've got more time until we get that blanket of snow...but right now is the perfect time to make sure your car is ready for it!
We turned to the experts at Dunn Tire to talk about what key things you should check to keep you safe on the roads:
- Check your battery: cold weather can be hard on your battery. Replace it every three or four years. You can get it checked for free at any Dunn Tire location.
- Brakes: you want to have a healthy brake system so you can make those unexpected stops with ease.
- Fluids, like coolant and oil: coolant should be flushed every two years in most vehicles, it protects against engine freeze-up during those cold winter nights! Change your oil when recommended, dirty oil can make it hard to start your car and can cause engine wear.
- Lights, wipers: you want to be seen and see! Check to make sure none of your tail lights, headlights and brake lights are out. Also look at your wipers to make sure they're not streaky, giving you a clear field of vision. Put in a windshield washer fluid that can stand negative temperatures to avoid freezing on your windshield.
- Tires: don't forget your spare! Look at tread depth and tire pressure. Tire pressure can change when the temperature does. You want good tread so you're not slipping and sliding all over the road.
Consider getting a winter service. It will include wheel alignments as well as steering and suspension.
WNY sees quite a difference in temperature, which can put your car through a lot, especially your tires. Consider switching out your tires with the season. Once the temperature is consistently below 45 degrees Fahrenheit, it's time to put on winter tires. Dunn Tire will even store your tires!