wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Fire tears through popular Amherst restaurant

Posted at 5:50 PM, Jan 29, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-29 21:23:02-05

Fire crews from The Town of Amherst, City of Buffalo and surrounding areas were busy responding to a two-alarm restaurant fire Monday night.

First responders were called to the scene on Kenmore Avenue, home to the popular May Jen Chinese Restaurant around 5:30pm.

According to fire officials, the fire could be seen coming from the roof when firefighters arrived. The fire took about 45 minutes to be brought under control.

Officials say a grease fire started in the kitchen and extended through the exhaust ducts to the roof.

There were no reported injuries.

Damages from the fire are estimated at $325,000.