HIRING 716 658by90.png

Actions

Fire inside vacant house under going renovations

Posted at 1:28 AM, May 19, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-20 06:41:46-04

A vacant home under renovations went up in flames in the Jefferson-Genesee area.

The fire started in a home just after Midnight Thursday along the 500 block of Sherman Street.  Firefighters fought the fire from the outside because of the amount of fire.

One firefighter was hurt in a tripping accident.  He underwent a medical evaluation and returned to quarters.

Division Chief Peter Kertzie said the home had a building permit on the front door and assumes it was undergoing renovations.  Damage to the structure was estimated to be $40,000.  The home is listed for emergency demolition.

The cause of the fire will be investigated.