BATAVIA, N.Y. (WKBW) — Genesee County Sheriff's Office says two people have been arrested for attempting to flee police in Batavia, Thursday evening.
Authorities say 27-year-old Denzell Johnson and 26-year-old Shafatiah Miller, both of Rochester, attempted to avoid police officers at a traffic stop at Ellicott and Otis Streets in Batavia resulting in them driving through a backyard at 255 South Swan Street.
Afterwards, Johnson and Miller separated, with Jackson running off to Jackson Elementary School where he was found to have a handgun and drugs on school grounds.
Johnson was arrested on the following felony and misdemeanor charges
- Criminal possession of a weapon on school grounds
- Criminal possession of a firearm
- Obstruction of governmental administration in the second degree
- Unlawful fleeing of a police officer
- Two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree
- Displaying a forged certificate of inspection
- Aggravated unlicensed operation in the third degree
Miller was arrested on the following felony and misdemeanor charges
- Criminal possession of a controlled substance in the third degree
- Two counts of promoting prison contraband in the first degree
- Promoting prison contraband in the second degree
Johnson and Miller will appear in City of Batavia Court on Tuesday, February 18th at 1 p.m.