Two teachers from Erie County schools top the list of highest paid teachers in Upstate New York, according to information compiled by syracuse.com. The salary information is recorded by the New York State Teachers' Retirement System .
The report from syracuse.com ranks 53 Upstate New York counties based on the highest paid teacher for the 2017-18 school year in that county.
Hamburg Central School District paid one teacher $530,000, the result of a legal settlement. Buffalo Public Schools paid two teachers $235,415.70 and $148,258.97 respectively. The district says both of those high payouts were the result of arbitration decisions related to class sizes, an issue the district says has been corrected.
The remaining WNY counties are scattered throughout the list:
- Niagara County ranks 16th
- Orleans County ranks 20th
- Genesee County ranks 26th
- Chautauqua County ranks 38th
- Cattaraugus County ranks 39th
- Wyoming County ranks 48th
- Allegany County ranks 49th