Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard announced warrant sweeps on parents who have failed to make child support payments.
These raids, conducted by the Erie County Sheriff's Office, happen annually but this year they came after an audit on the process for serving family court warrants.
Parents arrested were:
- 53-year-old Daniel Sokolofsky of Kenmore
- 41-year-old Kevin L. Williams of Buffalo
- 62-year-old Anthony Ross of Buffalo
- 24-year-old Xavier Boney of Buffalo
- 42-year-old Andrew R. Walter, Sr. of Angola
- 40-year-old Luis A. Pirela of Buffalo
Officials say these individuals owe thousands of dollars in back child support payments.
Comptroller Stefan Mychajliw said, "Deadbeat parents need to be held accountable. Children and mostly single moms suffer when parents do not honor their court ordered obligations to support their family. ...We will find you...and you will pay."
Sheriff Howard was asked if the timing of this raid had anything to do with the upcoming re-election -- the Sheriff said this was part of a bigger effort nationwide with more than 400 agencies across the country.