A dog that escaped the rubble of a home on Humber Avenue last Friday following a deadly fire is on the road to recovery.
The dog, which has yet to be claimed, was treated for smoke inhalation at the McClelland Small Animal Hospital and responded well to medication. He was transferred to the Buffalo Animal Shelter on Monday.
A crew working on a home involved in a deadly fire on Friday made the emotional discovery when they saw the dog crawl out of the basement of the home on Humber Avenue. That home was the site of a early morning fire that claimed the lives of two men and injured two children.
Workers told 7 Eyewitness News that the dog appeared to be hungry but otherwise ok. "He seemed like he was shocked. We fed him some donuts," said Merle Steele who helped to rescue the dog. "The dog was definitely in the fire. He was in the basement and couldn't get down there. It's amazing the dog is still alive."
The dog could go up for adoption after a holding period if no one comes forward.