wkbw_49278_Super7_658x90.png

Actions

Depew Fire Department: Don't hesitate to call 911 if carbon monoxide alarm goes off

Posted at 11:04 AM, Dec 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-12-29 18:41:41-05

As Western New Yorkers are turning up their furnaces, the Depew Fire Department is warning residents that an activated carbon monoxide alarm should be taken seriously.

According to this post to the Depew Fire Department's Facebook page, a Depew resident says after the carbon monoxide alarm in his home went off in the middle of the night a number of firefighters quickly responded.

"The four chiefs were so fast they had to be sleeping with their boots on," James Westgate said in the post.

The Depew Fire Department responded to Westgate's appreciative post with a post of their own:

"Thank you to the resident that sent us some kind words about our recent response to their call for help. We treat every call as a priority for our Village residents, and we are always there to offer assistance."

The Department continued by issuing a warning for residents that if your carbon monoxide alarm is going off don't hesitate to call 911.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, an average of 430 Americans die each year by exposure to the colorless, odorless gas.