Defective TV may have caused Sunday night fire

Posted at 12:55 AM, Feb 08, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-08 06:59:47-05

A defective flat screen television could be to blame for a fire Sunday night at a Langfield-Kenfield B.M.H.A. apartment officials said.

The fire broke out just before 11:30 p.m. in the living room of 39 Beiter Walk, just off Eggert Road.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the first floor. The second floor sustained heavy smoke damage.

7 Eyewitness News was there as fire investigators were examining a heavily charred flat screen television outside of the home. Investigators said they are looking at the television, but a final determination has not been made as to what started the fire.

Are you watching an unsafe television? Within the last five years, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a recall on 32" Coby Flat Screen Televisions due to fire and burn hazards.     

Investigators do not think the television involved in Sunday night's fire is related to the December 2013 recall.

Nobody was home at the time of the fire and no firefighters were hurt.

The fire caused $50,000 in total damages.