TOWN OF AMHERST, N.Y. (WKBW) — The Town of Amherst announced it is discouraging traditional trick-or-treating this year due to COVID-19.
Although it is being discouraged, the town has offered some guidance for those who still plan to take part.
Officials say residents who plan to hand out candy should:
- Keep your porch light on between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Wash and sanitize hands frequently and before handling treats.
- Be creative in how to safely distribute candy, such as creating individually bagged treats.
Those who don't plan to hand out candy should keep their porch light off.
For residents who plan to go out trick-or-treating the town says you should:
- Go trick-or-treating between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Only approach homes with a porch light on.
- Wear a face covering, a costume mask is not a substitute.
- Limit the size of your group.
- Bring hand sanitizer and use frequently.
- Socially distance from other trick-or-treaters.